Friday, December 17, 2010

Because Lifting Weights Is Boring...

If any of you (my lovely readers) are friends with me on Facebook, then you might already know that I made homemade butter the other day and was STOKED about it. I found this simple recipe for making butter (here) and I couldn't wait to try it out! The only experience I have ever had with obtaining butter was that it came from the store, sometimes in a tub, sometimes wrapped in wax paper in a box, and that it somehow came from cows. Needless to say, I was really excited to discover that I could take the power of butter making into my own hands...literally...

All you need is heavy whipping cream (we got ours at the Ypsilanti Food Co-Op), salt, and a mason jar.
 Step 1: Pour whipping cream into jar.
 Step 2: Add salt.
 Step 3: Shake...preferably shake while dancing like a mad person and running around the apartment...which I did, but Steve was "too cool" to do...
 More shaking and baby wearing... (my arms and hands were SO TIRED afterwards)
 BUTTER!!!!
Step 4: Drain out the buttermilk and squish the buttermilk out of the butter...I tried about 80 different ways to squish the stupid buttermilk out of the butter and after failing and wasting a ton of butter, I just did it by hand!
 I shaped it into a brick, wrapped it in wax paper and put it in the freezer to harden and TA-DA!
Then I made toast to celebrate :)

-Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Looks so good! I buy local milk, and local butter but it would be really fun to make some!

    How long do you think it took, total? :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shaking part took about 15 minutes (or 3 dance songs haha). The rest of it took me the whole day because Steve went to work and I was left with a teething baby. I had to keep putting the butter in the fridge and waiting until Konnor was napping so I could continue working at it... I don't think this is how we will always get our butter, but it was really fun to try :)

    ReplyDelete