Monday, December 20, 2010

Prego's Got Nothing On Me!

Lately, my brain has just been bursting at the seams from learning so many new things! If you know me personally, you might know that I've always had a "hippie" side to me (cloth diapers, organic foods, chemical-free beauty products, I was even vegan once upon a time!). So recently I have been going nuts (and staying up late, oops) reading blogs, watching videos, and searching websites for information on sustainable living. No, don't worry...I'm not getting on my soapbox...yet... but I am too stoked about all of this new information to not share some of it!
Steve and I are going to start making some changes to the way we live, starting with how we eat. I've been flexing my cooking muscles more and more so that we can eat healthy and (hopefully, in the future) locally obtained meals!
My next cooking adventure is going to be making beef ravioli with spaghetti sauce FROM SCRATCH! Now, I put "from scratch" in all caps like that, because I think a lot of people have lost touch with what "from scratch" actually means! While I was searching for a spaghetti sauce recipe online, all of the recipes that said "100% from scratch" on them were anything but! They all had, "Add 1 can of tomato paste" or "Add 1 can of diced tomatoes". Yeah...um...that's not from scratch buddy. Nice try.
Anyway, after much searching...I found a video on YouTube that was just was I was looking for (see video here).
And now I'll share :)
(Ok, I just got done making the sauce, and I forgot to take a lot of pictures along the way...oops!)

1 lb of Roma tomatoes cut in half, then create little cross hairs in the center...
Then you put salt, pepper, sugar, and ground fennel seed on the cross hairs. Drizzle on olive oil and mix together/pat the mixture into the cross hairs.
 Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes. Oh, in that tin foil "basket" there is about 10 cloves of garlic and a small onion chopped up, drizzled with olive oil.
 Yeah...so I forgot to take a picture of what everything looked like when it was done baking. The tomatoes look shriveled up and the onions and garlic are slightly brown and soft.
Put everything into a blender. Pulse a few times. Then add beef broth, parmesan cheese, and basil. Mix.
All done! I transfered my sauce to an old olive oil jar! Now it's in the fridge waiting to be used on some homemade ravioli :) Easy-peasy!

The Konnor Update!
He is learning how to use a sippy cup and he is a natural! I handed it to him (empty) just to see what he would do and he immediately put the spout in his mouth! So proud :)

1 comment:

  1. From scratch food is good but I hope you will survive without it here. Konnor looks so cute in the picture. I was thinking of getting him sippy cups but I didn't think he would use them yet. He is such a smart little boy. :)

    ReplyDelete