Friday, January 7, 2011

Hey Good Lookin', Whatcha Got Cookin'?!

Come away with me and relive some of my most recent food adventures! Wow, sounds exciting right? Well... don't get too awful excited because we aren't going any farther than my small kitchen. (Aww, shucks) However, I do consider the following creations to be quite adventurous it can be scary to make food from scratch! Ok, so remember that spaghetti sauce I made a while back? (here) Well, we ended up making ravioli to go with it! 

 Here's the filling...I don't remember exactly what's in it. I know it's beef, some stock, and portobello mushrooms, but that's all I really remember. We made this paste using the food processor.
 Rolling out the dough! It was hard work with that cheap-o plastic rolling pin! (I have since bought a heavy wooden rolling pin at Salvation Army).
 Cutting the dough into cute little squares...
 Next, you fill the dough with the meat paste and cook the raviolis in boiling water for 3-5 minutes!
 Add sauce and TA-DA!
Next up on our list of adventures is homemade tortillas. At first, I was scared because I don't really know anything about bread dough and making tortillas just seemed like something you needed lots of talent to do (which I seem to lack in most departments).
 Making the dough...simple enough...(ignore my sleeve that would NOT stay up!) I think this dough had 4 ingredients, one of which was the butter we made (here).
 Umm..I forgot to photograph some steps, so here's the finished product! I can't believe how frickin' easy this was.
 Mmm...burritos. Homemade tortillas are DELICIOUS compared to store-bought ones and they don't tear or break near as easily...and get this...I'm pretty sure they are cheaper to make than to buy!
 Here's some dinner rolls I made...nothing special...
Ok, this meal has a story behind it...kind of. So Steve and I were recently noticing how our very well loved pots and pans collection is kind of starting to degrade in the non-stick Teflon department. Apparently you are supposed to replace your Teflon cookware every year and we've had ours for over two (little Teflon flakes are starting to come off, oops!) So we decided that we are going to make the switch to non-non-stick cookware (that looks weird, but that's the only way I can write it, haha). So we went to a few thrift/second hand stores and found this wonderful cast iron pot/dutch oven! It's awesome (except it didn't come with a lid...)! So anyway, here's a very colorful meal I made in it. It has: onions, mushrooms, carrots, celery, peas, chickpeas, and kidney beans. (I later added pasta and some "beef stock/BBQ stuff" left over from when I made BBQ ribs in the crock pot a few days ago.

Final product! (Let me just say that it's very difficult to type a blog with a small person constantly smacking the keyboard \and chewing on the computer itself.)

Well, that's all I've got for food, but here's some more pans that we bought! Yay for pans! (I get excited over weird stuff nowadays)...
We bought these stainless steel/copper bottom pans at Salvation Army (their cookware was 25% off!)
 The copper is pretty ugly here...
 I used vinegar, salt, and ketchup to bring it back to it's former glory....
Kind of. Well, they look better than before! I think I'm going to set the copper part in some Diet Coke over night so the acid can eat away at the nasty stuff more. I want that copper to sparkle dang it! lol.
And here is aforementioned small person, complete with TWO front (bottom) teeth! He loves smiling for the camera now :) When he's not bawling his eyes out from teething :(
You can't see them too well, but they are there and they are SHARP!
And speaking of teeth, someone is trying to EAT my laptop charger cord....

'til next time,

Michelle

p.s. If you are feeling adventurous and want any of the recipes I used, just comment below and I'll be happy to share them with you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment