Sunday, April 7, 2013

Artsy Craftsy Part 2: Painting & Recycling Glass Bottles

First of all, Hubert's Lemonade is awesome. Secondly, I love the simple, rounded shape of the bottle. I love clear glass bottles, jars, etc, because the simplicity is so beautiful to me. However, I also love colored glass. I saved a few of the lemonade bottles to put flowers in once spring came, but then I was on pinterest and saw pictures of PAINTED glass bottles. Boom, inspiration.
Steve and I took the labels off and the sticky-yuck stuff off with some homemade goo-gone. I wasn't planning on making goo-gone at midnight, but a quick pinterest search gave me simple directions (equal parts oil and baking soda. Yupp, that's it.)
My living room colors are blue, gray, and white and I already had some blue and gray paint from a different project. I used acrylic paint because that's what I had, but if you were planning on putting real flowers in the bottles, I would suggest using enamel paint instead (because it's waterproof). I used far too much paint on the first bottle because I didn't have a good technique. I used way less on the second. Just squirt some paint and hold the bottle so the paint goes all the way to the bottom, then turn it on it's side and let it move across the bottle until it pretty much stops. Watching paint move is a slow process and takes patience, but it's also kind of relaxing to watch in my opinion. After it stops, add another long line of paint and repeat until the bottle is covered. Gravity is your friend when trying to cover little missed spots without adding extra paint.
This is the first bottle I did with lots of missing spaces.
After they were completely covered, I turned them upside down on a small tupperware container. I saved the extra paint and put it back in the paint bottle. It didn't stain the tupperware either.

Ta-da! Here's two of them. This was SO. SIMPLE. I did this while both kids were awake if that tells you anything.

Here's the finished project. Those white flowers weren't my first choice. I originally wanted one white gerber daisy in each bottle, but WalMart didn't have any and I didn't have the time or energy to go to Hobby Lobby. Now that I'm looking at the picture, the flowers in the two bottles on the right are too high. I need to cut them down to match the one on the left. And yes, it bothers me that the bird and the blue bottle don't match exactly, but I love that little bird (Hobby Lobby, $4 with 40% off coupon). I think I'm more of a perfectionist than I thought after re-reading that paragraph. Oops.
And there it is. I think the shelf is a TAD too high on the wall, but Steve hung it without consulting me first. I'm not really going to complain though, I'm just happy that he got it hung up at all. There is no stud above the tv so we had to use some finagling to even get that shelf up (haha, I say "we" like I had anything to do with it). Also, ignore those cords that are showing everywhere!! Ugh.

This whole project cost probably $3? The lemonades are about $2 each, but that's including the actual lemonade which I didn't use on the project. The two bottles of paint are .78 cents each and I used maybe 1/4 of it on each bottle. The stupid flowers were the most expensive at $3, but I only used half of them.

Overall, I love how this turned out. Simple, yet beautiful.
Hope you like it!

-Michelle

1 comment:

  1. you do sound like a perfectionist in this post!
    I love the bottles!

    ReplyDelete