Thursday, April 18, 2013

Artsy Craftsy Part 3: Painted Picture Plaques

Remember in Part 1 when I said I wanted to hang a bunch of pictures, but didn't want to spend the money on a bunch of new frames? You do? Good, because that's the same problem that sparked this project (that and Pinterest!). I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a bunch of these wooden plaques in varying sizes and shapes. They ranged from $1.50 to .75 cents, but if I had gone when wood crafting supplies were on sale, they would have probably been 40-50% off!
 I started by painting the entire plaque either blue or gray with acrylic paint and a sponge brush. Even though I knew the picture would cover the area I painted, I just painted it anyway...for fun? I'm not sure why, I just did! Moving on!

Then I used Mod Podge to stick the picture to the wood and to "seal" the picture and add a glossy top coat. I am a Mod Podge beginner and I don't know if it was because I used a foam brush or because I only applied 1-2 coats, but it dried very textured, like brush strokes.
For the irregular (ie: not rectangle) plaques, I just laid the picture on top of the plaque and made creases where the border was so I would know where to cut off the excess. Easy peasy.
 The pictures were kind of bubbly before the the Mod Podge dried, but they were gone after it dried. You can see some of the bubbles on Natalie's forehead on this one.
We also bought a baggie of little "wall hangy things" which Steve nailed to the back of the plaque so they could be hung to the wall. You could probably use command strips if you didn't want to put a bunch of holes in the wall. So this is the finished project!
So that's it for my Artsy Craftsy project series for now as I have ran out of money to buy supplies Haha!
'til next time...
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment